Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Most Challenging Day Yet

Today was more challenging than most, but not the hardest... if that makes any sense.
I'm not sure, my mind is jumbled into a wad of confusion.

I should say today was more challenging less tedious than others.

There we go.

I like to think of myself as a creative individual, however when I am in a setting that requires me to be both confident and creative, the creative side tends to dwindle, bringing the confidence down along with it.

This morning, Nikki asked me to design a landing page for one of our clients.

When I say design, I don't mean color schemes, or the question of whether Helvetica or Georgia is the better font -- I'm talking writing copy and deciding the placement of that copy from scratch with my own research and understanding of our client to guide me.

Researching was familiar and fun -- I got to read several well-written and informative blogs about creating the perfect landing page and other less glamorous articles on the medical condition I was researching. I had all my information.

When it came to creating the page -- my creative side struggled a bit. From the start, Nikki asked me to make a landing page for a certain medical condition that our client offers services for. This meant providing useful information about the condition and creating a Call-to-Action on the page.
Instead, I looked at several (rather bland) landing page samples and created one that was much too market based and didn't provide enough information about the condition itself.

Nikki has been so patient with me and showed me what needed tweeking and re-editing. I'm not one to take criticism well (it makes me doubt my abilities), but this exercise, while one in creativity and writing, was a test to my "confidence" -- a test that, I will argue, is almost more valuable than one exercising my writing skills.

I am a strong believer that one can only learn by experience... which at times can be intimidating and can arouse feelings of self-doubt.

Rather than take Hickson's approach of "If at first you don't succeed,: Try, try, try again." , I see this as more of an opportunity to grow rather than an opportunity to let someone down or fail.

I'm still not finished yet, but I am coming back tomorrow  to work on the same project.
Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment