Thursday, July 10, 2014

Becoming a Walking Encyclopedia

The tasks that Nikki gave me today exercised my grammar and writing skills and proved to be more challenging than I had initially expected.

First, I reedited the definitions in the Frozen Fire Package document (which lists the prices for our services and then closer definitions/descriptions of those services). I am happy that I used to be a huge grammar nerd because the writing was very clear and nearly perfect! Except for the minuscule grammar glitches that I found. Anyway doing this took me a surprisingly long time because I checked over it several times to make sure that it was perfect. (I feel like I put too much stress on some things...)

After this, I had a small chunk of time to read over my favorite blogs before Nikki gave me the task to define nine key terms for one of our clients.

Well, this took me about an hour and a half because I didn't realize that the terms were for Frozen Fire's purposes only -- while I had been under the impression that these definitions were to appear on the website. I spent almost ten minutes on each one trying to make it perfect!!
Oh well, at least everyone will get (hopefully) an enjoyable read from my definitions of men's Botox and skin products. I really do think I made them sound quite pretty.

Anyway, even if these were to appear on our client's website, I'm not sure that they should have taken me so long to write. I am hoping that it only took me a while because I was a little nervous and because I am new to professional/business writing. I'm hoping that this comes with practice....

Although I did not have several tasks today, the ones I had were challenging (even though in both cases I think I made them a little more challenging for myself than need be) and have reminded me on what I need to work on.

Also, by thinking I was writing for the actual website most likely helped improve my professional writing. I also went on other websites to observe how they got their messages across on their websites... and I will definitely continue to observe website copy now that I have done it for a few of our clients (which will hopefully influence my own writing).

Also, you have to hand it to being in marketing, especially in a marketing agency... you become a walking encyclopedia. I know so much about men's botox and testosterone replacement therapy after this. 

In all, today was filled with more learning experiences that I will grow with and improve upon throughout my career (Who knows? Maybe one day I'll need to know about men's dermal fills!)


No comments:

Post a Comment