Thursday, July 17, 2014

CTA, Shutterstock, and Landing Pages, Oh My!

I came in yesterday for an extra day this week to work on the project from Tuesday. It was a good thing I did -- I made major changes to the landing page that I think were very positive.
As I said Tuesday, the main problem with the landing page I had created was that it was too market oriented. I followed the examples online too closely and forgot that the aim of the page was to educate and use that information to draw the viewers to the CTA, (call to action).
In marketing, the Call-to-Action is an instruction to the audience to provoke an immediate response (such as prompt them to sign up for an email list, take a survey, etc.).
We had two CTAs for the page -- the first being to make them want to make an appointment with the doctors, the second being to, after giving them all of this information, inspire them to obtain a second opinion with the "Get a Second Opinion" button. By educating them, we showed them that the medical condition explained on the page was something that you should not/cannot treat on your own (which is the truth... we only juxtaposed all of this information we gathered from the internet conveniently next to the "Make An Appointment" button. If you think about it, we saved them a lot of trouble and typing there!
Anyway, I wrote much more than I had -- which were some tiny paragraphs that barely said anything. A major objective of the landing page was to expand the SEO, which meant the more copy, the better. Should have realized that sooner... Oh well.
Anyway, after writing the copy, Nikki showed me how to organize it: Headline>Subtitle>Hero Photo>Subline 1> Copy > CTA > Subline 2 > Copy >CTA 2.

It was quite clever. Placing the first CTA after the first Subline (symptoms), instilled a sense of urgency in the viewer, as they realized that what they have is serious and that seeing a doctor may be the best thing to do. After that, the second CTA was skillfully placed after the Subline 2, treatment -- which explained to the user that home treatments do not show optimal results like those offered by doctors offices -- specifically our client's office. In this paragraph, I also wrote the copy to instill some urgency (not alarmingly) and to explain how seeing a doctor may be the best option. -- all of this was complimented nicely by the "Get a Second Opinion Now" button right below.

I honestly never realized how much work went into landing pages...
And when I say landing pages, I'm talking about the page with the specific CTA of getting people to sign up for an email, get in contact somehow etc. Landing page is a pretty broad term because it really just means the section of a website accessed through a hyperlink and can even be a homepage. A homepage could have the CTA, but not usually. Typically, there is a specific page for getting people to connect with the business. --- at least that is what the internet seems to think. I read countless blogs and websites that went into detail about what should be on a landing page and where to put what, and what to say, etc. There is an art to it. I used to think that landing pages were just annoying pages that were blatantly asking for my money and business, however, when done correctly, landing pages can be both informative and promote revenue.

After doing this, Nikki had me look up photos for the website on shutterstock (which is a very cool website). One had to imply surgery and the other had to show happy people doing something active to indicate that once the customers had visited with our client, they would be able to do normal, active things. The one that implied surgery was really difficult -- it couldn't be gruesome or show the model's faces since they weren't our clients. I found a large amount of pictures showing surgical gloves holding x-rays, however the x-ray would always be of the wrong body part, etc. It was so hard!!

Will keep looking today since I'm not sure how well I did with that...

No comments:

Post a Comment